I have to admit, I have tried several vegan patty recipes and they have either fallen apart or they are really dry. This recipe I found on yummly.com, it was the first one that tasted very good and stayed together without any problems. I did find that they were not as salty as I would like and I don’t usually put a lot of salt in my food. I also used gluten free oats to make these gluten free burgers. The girls ate three of them in one sitting. So, I will be going back to this recipe and making more. Freezing them would be a great option too. Enjoy.
Oatmeal Breakfast Patties
These patties are kid approved and this recipe was slightly altered from the original.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 cups water May need to reduce water to gain the right consistency of the patty.
- 4 cups Gluten Free Oats Instant or see note below.
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce organic
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil organic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Bring water to a boil and stir in oatmeal. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until the oats are cooked and all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To the oatmeal add onion, oil, spaghetti sauce, pecans, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, basil, onion powder, coriander, sage and active yeast. Mix well and form into patties. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn patties over and bake another 15 minutes.
If you are unable to find gluten free instant oats, place them into a food processor and pulse for 5-10 times to get the oats to be broken down a little more. **I omitted the active yeast in this recipe as it really did not have a need. Since writing this recipe, I have found that my gut does not respond well to yeast. I understand many others may have this concern or a concern with candida. This recipe can do just fine without the yeast. One may need to reduce the water to gain the right consistency of the burger.