Quinoa is a great source of protein. It is particularly great for those that are trying to get their intake for the day. According to Health Magazine article, women should get 46 grams of protein a day and 56 for men. I do know this does change the more active you are. You can view the article here.
Cooked quinoa holds about 8 grams of protein per cup. It is filling and has a nutty (distinct) taste to it. I use it in all kinds of cooking, chili, desserts, lunch meals, and breakfasts. This happens to be a breakfast that I like. I found this recipe on Loveandzest.com.
Apple Cinnamon Quinoa
- 2 apples organic
- 2 Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup organic applesauce I used unsweetened.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp Apple Pie Spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp organic maple syrup
- Place quinoa, applesauce, and almond milk into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook quinoa until liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes.)
- Shred apples and mix into quinoa. Then add your spice, salt and vanilla.
- Dish into bowls and top with maple syrup and additional spice.