This recipe is used as a topping for potatoes, salads, and anything you desire to put it on. The inspiration came from Easy Cheesy Vegetarian, and you can get the original recipe from her website here.
It is low-fowmap, but it has not been approved by Monash University, so be sure to check the ingredients to see if it fits your dietary needs.
Vegan Bacon Bits
- 2 Tbs Tamari sauce
- 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbs Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- Black Pepper
- 1 pkg Super Firm Tofu Extra firm will work too, cook longer
- 1 Tbs Garlic Infused Oil
- Warm garlic oil in large pan.
- Once pan is warm, crumble the entire package of tofu into tiny crumbles. The smaller you can get them, the quicker they will cook.
- Add tamari, maple syrup, hot sauce, smoked paprika, and pepper.
- Stir until all seasonings and sauces together and let the tofu cook the liquid out.
- Stir frequently so it does not burn. When it reaches the desired crumbly and dried out texture, it is done.
- Pour tofu bacon bits onto a paper towel to finish cooling. Once cooled they are ready to use as your "bacon" topping.