Our family loves a certain meal called, “haystacks.” This is basically a taco salad. For this, we usually use the white tortilla chips. As I scrolled through Pinterest, I found a recipe for homemade Frito chips by Minimalist Baker. Why not?! Over all they are healthier, so I thought I would give it a try. They turned out great! I did however shorten the baking time to 10 minutes and it was perfect for me. The first batch I made at 12 minutes burned. My girls were able to get their hands dirty and help me as well. Enjoy.
Homemade Corn Chips
These are a fun and healthy way to make chips for your taco salad. Give them a try with your kids.
Servings: 4 people
- 6 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 Tbs. organic olive oil
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all spices and seasonings to a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut your tortillas into equal strips.Transfer to bowl and toss in 2-3 Tbsp olive or canola oil until well coated. Spread on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Watch out, they’ll burn. (*Mine burned at the 12 mark...10 minutes was perfect.)
- Once removed from the oven, immediately add tortilla strips to the seasoning mix and toss to coat. If they appear to have dried in the oven while baking, you can spritz them with a little oil so the seasonings stick better.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or plate with a slotted spatula to shake off excess seasoning. You’ll likely have extra seasoning, which you can store for later use if desired.