I love chocolate, however due to my gut sensitivity, I can’t consume chocolate with any form of dairy in it. This means DARK chocolate for me. YUM! I eat 88-95% dark chocolate as a snack. I also make my smoothies with cacao powder in them, which is bitter by itself since it is pure chocolate superfood. The best part about eating dark chocolate, besides the antioxidants is that its hard to consume more than a few pieces, well, depending on the day.
I wanted to make a special treat for my Bible study group. So I naturally started looking for chocolate desserts that didn’t have any refined sugar. I try super duper hard to not eat much sugar in any form except brown rice syrup, but I found that unrefined coconut sugar is ok for me from time to time.
I found the recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread from The Pretty Bee. The first time I made it, I kept to the recipe, exactly as I had found it. It was really really good. In fact, my Bible study group liked it a lot. The only change I thought to make is to reduce the bananas down to 1 instead of 2. When I made the bread the first time it was super moist and that was after I had baked it for 45 minutes. So I tried it a second time with one banana and it turned out much better. I used a medium sized banana about 5-6 inches long.
I can’t wait for you to try this. This is a great dessert, packed with chocolate goodness with banana. A must have recipe for those that love chocolate and want to reduce their sugar or eat more unrefined. I hope you like this recipe as much as I did.
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour I used Bob Mills One to One Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder The original recipe calls for cocoa powder. You can use either.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil measure solid and then melt
- 1 medium Banana ripe
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a bead pan with parchment paper.
- Place dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash banana with fork, add melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and water. Whisk until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir with mixing spoon until all ingredients are incorportated.
- Pour batter into lined bread pan and bake for 45 minutes or until fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove bread from pan by grabbing parchment paper and set on cooling rack until completely cool...... if you can.
- I made this in a square pan and baked it for 35 minutes and it turned out great for fluffy brownies. A MUST TRY!